BrightStar’s 2010 Year in Review
It is the time of year when we say goodbye to 2010 and hello to the NEW YEAR! In the spirit of the holidays and closing out the year, we thought it would be a great time to recap BrightStar Credit Union’s most popular moments of the year.
- BrightStar launched a new suite of Business Services, including Business Checking and our Business Visa Debit Card.
- Our Blog was Born! BrightStar launched BreakTheBankHabit.com. Plus you can now follow us on our Facebook page and read our Tweets on Twitter.
- BrightStar Credit Union was named Broward County’s Outstanding Philanthropic Company for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals and was recognized by the Broward County School Board for its contributions to the School District and the community.
- We continued our successful CU@School financial literacy program, reaching out to thousands of students in Broward Schools—plus we continued our in-school student-run credit unions. The goal: To provide today’s youth with financial skills that will last them a lifetime.
- BrightStar sponsored multiple Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips in 40 local schools. Thousands of students participated and learned about important American History topics, including The Will of the People, The Bill of Rights and more.
- Dr. Dorothy Orr, Chairperson of BrightStar’s Board of Directors, was honored with several awards, including:
- BrightStar’s CEO, Ralph Crockett, was presented with the 2010 ‘Man of the Year’ award from the Broward County Chapter of the United Nations Association in recognition of his professional achievements and community involvement.
- The Credit Union raised $15,000 for the earthquake victims in Haiti, thanks to the generosity of members and employees. All funds were donated to Partners In Health exclusively for use in Haiti. We were also a sponsor of the City of Lauderhill’s Hait fundraising concert which raised even more money for earthquake victims.
- We partnered with Family Central Inc. for their annual Toy Drive. We collected several huge boxes of toys that we delivered to deserving children.
- BrightStar teamed up with Broward County council of PTA’s Anne Murray Clothing Bank to raise funds for needy kids.
- We held Free Financial Literacy Seminars at our branch offices to help teach sound money management techniques.
- This summer the Credit Union hosted several local high school interns. Students learned some great life skills—and got a glimpse of what it takes to operate a credit union.
- BrightStar surpassed 43,000 members in 2010—a record high number.
- BrightStar’s Credit Cards were listed with a whopping 5-star rating on www.creditcardconnection.org in 2010. That’s because our credit cards have NO annual fee, NO balance transfer fee, super LOW interest rates, a LOW late fee, and NO penalty rates.
- Suze Orman really talked up credit unions in 2010 on TV shows such as The VIEW, Larry King Live and Oprah. Ms. Orman recommends Credit Union credit cards because credit unions are fair, ethical and offer real value to members.
- There was never a “credit crunch” at BrightStar. We made more than $100 million in loans to members in 2010. BrightStar has money to lend for cars, homes, home repairs and more.
- BrightStar awarded more than 50 million Visa Extras points to members in 2010. Members can earn points for great rewards just for using their enrolled Visa Check Card on qualifying purchases.
- BrightStar awarded over $7,500 to members this year in various contests, including our e-Statements contest, Share the Love member referral contest, Online BillPay sweepstakes and Facebook contests.
- BrightStar sponsored and participated in various events and programs, including:
- Broward Schools Teacher of the Year, Employee of the Year, Principal of the Year, Assistant Principal of the Year
- Broward Schools Broward Teen News, Broward Education Foundation’s End of the Year Celebration
- Impact II Teacher Grants, BRACE Scholarships, Broward Schools’ Community Involvement Awards
- Partners In Education’s Clueless on Las Olas event, the Sistrunk Historic Festival and the Renaissance Festival
- We celebrated International Credit Union Day on October 21st by providing members with free refreshments and giveaway items in our branches.
- BrightStar employees showed our school spirit at the 2010 High School homecoming football games at Flanagan and Taravella which we supported through our sponsorships.
- Despite the not-so-good national news regarding some financial institutions, BrightStar remained safe and strong. Bauer Financial rated BrightStar with an “Excellent” or 4-STAR Rating for safety and soundness. Bauer Financial has been reporting on and analyzing the performance of U.S. banks and credit unions since 1983. Member savings are also federally insured to at least $250,000 through the NCUA and backed by the full faith and credit of the United States Government.
Stay tuned in 2011 for more events, community involvement and exciting contests. We appreciate the opportunity to serve our community and our members. We would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays. Let’s make next year even better!