Monthly Archives: May 2011
The BrightStar Credit Union / Sistrunk Annual Gala and Fundraiser, in support of local, talented youth, will take place Sunday, June 5, 2011 at the Inverrary Country Club located at 3840 Inverrary Boulevard in Lauderhill. Cocktails start at 4pm with dinner/entertainment starting at 5pm. Tickets are $70.00 per person ($700.00 per table) with proceeds benefiting the Sistrunk Scholarship Program which provides scholarships for deserving youth in the community. To purchase tickets, contact Margaret Haynie Birch, Gala Co-Chair (954.593.7413) or Revella Hadley, Gala Co-Chair (954.471.6323) and visit www.sistrunkfestival.org for more information.
The annual gala is organized by Sistrunk Historical Festival, Inc. and celebrates Black Music Month, The event – hosted by Rodney Baltimore of WHQT HOT105FM – will expose guests to some of the multi-talented youth in our local communities and includes a formal evening of networking, dinner, and live entertainment.
Each year, Sistrunk awards scholarships to deserving students within the Broward County School District who are furthering their education in institutions of higher learning. To date, Sistrunk has awarded more than $15,000 in scholarships to students who may otherwise have been unable to fulfill their educational goals due to financial constraints. To be eligible, students must meet certain criteria such as grade point average, community service hours and personal leadership qualities
We will be closed on Monday May 30, 2011 for Memorial Day. We are open normal hours today (Friday) & tomorrow (Saturday). View our normal locations & hours here www.bscu.org/locations. Remember our fallen military service members on Monday. Have a nice weekend.
BrightStar salutes the Broward Schools 2011 ACCLAIM nominees, finalists and winners. This year Erik Anderson from Tropical Elementary School in Plantation has been named Broward’s top principal. Broward’s top assistant principal is Ernie Lozano from McNab Elementary School in Pompano Beach. Mr. Anderson and Mr. Lozano each received their award at a ceremony held last night (May 25) at Boyd Anderson High School in Lauderdale Lakes.
Anderson and Lozano both received $1,000 checks from BrightStar. The Credit Union was a proud sponsor of the event. BrightStar also supports the District’s Teacher of the Year, school related employee of the year and many other events recognizing our outstanding educators throughout the year.
To read more about the winners and all the finalists, visit the Broward Schools web site (click here).
For over eight years, BrightStar Credit Union has sponsored the Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips for Broward Schools. Colonial Williamsburg offers a series of 7 Electronic Field Trips throughout the school year, broadcast monthly from October through April. Normally, the cost for each school to participate in the EFTs would be $500, but with BrightStar’s support, enrollment is free for 40 schools every year!
We’re thankful that students appreciate the experience, and love to hear all their stories about the program. We received a stack of “thank you” letters from Mrs. Budd class at Lakeside Elementary. See some of them for yourself on our facebook page.
BrightStar recently attended two great local events, the Broward Schools Community Involvement Awards & the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Teacher of the Year recognition luncheon.
The Community Involvement Awards recognize the top Broward Schools volunteers, mentors and business partners. The folks who were recognized at this event are doing fantastic work with schools and students. The ceremony was held at Parker Playhouse and was organized by Broward Schools and Partners In Education.
The Greater Hollywood Chamber of Commerce held their annual Teachers of the Year Luncheon at Orangebrook Golf & Country Club. The event recognized 29 great teachers in the Hollywood, Fl area.
BrightStar was a sponsor of both events. Congratulations to all of the honorees!
Community Involvement Award Winners
Outstanding adult Volunteer of the Year
- Kaullis Marshall at Oriole Elementary
Outstanding Senior Volunteer of the Year
- Fedric Nadelman at Banyan Elementary
Outstanding Student Volunteer of the Year
- Melissa Bowman at Crestheaven Elementary
Outstanding Program Organizer Volunteer of the Year
- Nancy Juin & Kimberly Lang at Silver Trail Middle
Mentor of the Year, Elementary Level
- Nancy Washor at Flamingo Elementary
Mentor of the Year, Secondary Level
- Officer Larry Vandusseldrop at Apollo Middle
Mentor Program of the Year
- Jane Nichols & Bella – Pet Therapy Mentoring Program at Gator Run Elementary
Outstanding District Level Partnership of the Year
- Exceptional Student Education with Memorial Hospital Miramar
School Based Partnership of the Year awards
- South Area – Nova Blanche Forman Elementary with Feeding South Florida
- North Area – Sawgrass Springs Middle with Youth Environmental Alliance
- Central Area – Bennett Elementary with Christ Church & South Plantation High with City of Plantation
Florida PTA & Department of Education’s Parent Involvement Award
- Elementary Level Winner – North Side Elementary, with Linking the Library to Literacy
- Secondary Level Winner – Western High, Reach-Out Western
Congratulations to the 2011 Hollywood Teachers of the Year!
- Apollo Middle School, Diana Dworzan
- Attucks Middle, Su Shy
- Beachside Montessori Village, Nora Penalver
- Bethune Elementary Elementary, Suzanne Alicia Clarke
- Blvd Heights Elementary, Jacqueline Alvarado
- Chaminade-Madonna, Brother George Endres, S.M. & Blanca Garcia
- Colbert Elementary, Shirline Alexander
- Collins Elementary, Shahjehan Rathore
- Dania Elementary, Bonita Rudnick
- Driftwood Elementary, Robin Guffey
- Driftwood Middle, Thomas Ogden
- FL Intercultural Academy., Julieta Nycz
- Hollywood Central Elementary, Deborah Cowfer
- Hollywood Hills Elementary, Shelley Scudder
- Hollywood Hills High, Jorg Pophal
- Hollywood Park Elementary, Nancy Adams
- Marware Montessori Academy, Janna Kopicki; Maria Guastella & Beatriz Enrique
- McArthur High, Kelly Drews
- McNicol Middle, Kawana Hibbert
- Oakridge Elementary, Rhonda Ervine
- Olsen Middle, Jacqueline Medrano
- Orange Brook Elementary, Monika Moorman
- Sheridan Hills Elementary, Kathleen Treado
- Sheridan Park Elementary, Cindy O’Linn
- Sheridan Tech., Karen Tobias
- South Broward High, Debra Hixon
- Stirling Elementary, Neil Oberstein
- Watkins Elementary, Antoinette Bell
- West Hollywood Elementary, Nina Duchin
BrightStar Credit Union is celebrating its 65th anniversary this year. We’ve launched a special website with all of the details (http://www.bscu.org/65Years.) Here are some highlights:
- To show members our appreciation, we’re having a Birthday Party at each of our Branches. There’s free cupcakes, plus you can play our “Guess The Stars” Game. See the schedule on our Anniversary web site.
- In October, we’re planning a Party in the Park with food, games, financial seminars and entertainment.–fun for the whole family.
- Do you think you know all there is to know about South Florida? Well, Test your knowledge with our Online History Quiz! One lucky winner each month will win $65.
- Plus on our 65th Anniversary site you can navigate the BrightStar history timeline and download cool desktop wallpapers for your computer or mobile device.
Last month was National Youth Savings Month, so BrightStar had a contest. Students from Flanagan High School were invited to enter our Money Saver Poster Contest. The contest was open to all clubs and organizations at Flanagan. Students created posters with the theme of saving money. Posters were judged on the expression of the theme, artwork style, content and creativity. The 2 winning posters were created by the National Honor Society which took 1st Place and the Class of 2013 in 2nd place. The winners received cash prizes from BrightStar Credit Union for their clubs. Thank you to all who participated. All posters including the winners will be displayed on our Facebook page. Congratulations!