2011 Year in Review
It’s the time of year when we say goodbye to 2011 and hello to the NEW YEAR! In the spirit of the holidays and the closing of the year, we thought it would be a great time to recap BrightStar Credit Union’s most popular moments of the year.
2011 Year in Review:
- BrightStar Credit Union was named 2011 Credit Union of the Year by the South Florida Business Journal as part of their Excellence in Banking Awards.
- BrightStar Credit Union celebrated its 65th anniversary in 2011. Celebration highlights included:
- We had a 65th Birthday Party at each of our branch locations. We gave away free cupcakes, and members played our “Guess the Stars” Game for a chance to win $65.
- We launched our 65th Anniversary web site with an interactive BrightStar history timeline, cool desktop wallpapers for your computer or mobile device and a south Florida trivia game.
- In October we had our giant Party in the Park at Volunteer Park in Plantation with food, games, financial seminars and entertainment–fun for the whole family.
- BrightStar’s President & CEO Ralph Crockett, was honored with the South Florida Business Journal’s Broward Ultimate CEO Award. Congratulations, Ralph!
- BrightStar made more than $81 million in loans to members in 2011. Our doors are open, and we have money to keep lending for cars, home, and more.
- We launched our online financial literacy site, BrightStar University! Everyone can benefit from financial knowledge. Just go to BrightStarU.com. There’s cool content for all age groups. Check it out.
- Our Apps Arrived! BrightStar’s iPhone & Android Apps are now available in your smart phone app store or marketplace. You can also utilize the mobile version of Online Banking on our mobile site m.bscu.org.
- BrightStar’s Social Media is growing! Our Blog, BreakTheBankHabit.com turned 1 year old. Our Facebook Page has more than 1,000 fans. Now you can also follow us on Twitter, Google+, Foursquare, & LinkedIn. If you haven’t already done so, do it now! Join our online community for news, info and contests.
- Despite many banks raising their fees eliminating free checking, BrightStar continues to offer FREE Checking & FREE Debit Cards with Visa Extras reward points—and we have no plans to change that.
- BrightStar members earned nearly 60 million Visa Extras points for their everyday debit card purchases in 2011. Points can add up quickly and can be redeemed for valuable rewards.
- We continued our CU@School financial literacy program, reaching out to thousands of students in Broward Schools—plus we continued our student-run credit unions in area schools. The goal: To provide today’s youth with financial skills that will last them a lifetime.
- BrightStar sponsored multiple Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips in 40 local schools. Thousands of students participated and learned about important American History topics.
- BrightStar was the 2nd place winner of CSCU’s Facebook contest for their Community Outreach Scholarships. We received a $1000 grant, which we donated to the Broward Schools homeless student program. In addition we donated an extra $2500 making the total $3500 to help homeless students.
- This Year BECON-TV launched the first season of School Duel, an exciting high school academic quiz show. BrightStar was an official sponsor. As part of our partnership, we worked with BECON to build the School Duel web site. The first year was a big success with prizes, contests and more. Stay tuned for the new season in 2012!
- We partnered with Family Central Inc. for our annual Toy Drive. We collected several huge boxes of toys that we delivered to deserving children.
- This past summer we were pleased to offer several local high school students internships. They learned about the business operations of the Credit Union.
- We love Broward Schools and our community, this year alone we sponsored and participated in:
- Broward Schools Teacher of the Year, Employee of the Year, Principal of the Year and Assistant Principal of the Year
- BECON’s Broward Teen News
- BEF/Broward Schools End of the Year Celebration
- Impact II Teacher Grants
- BRACE Scholarships
- Broward Schools Community Involvement Awards
- Partners In Education’s Clueless on Las Olas event
- Sistrunk Historic Festival
- South Florida Renaissance Festival
- And much more!
- The Broward Schools education technology services department created a Green Team to implement green strategies. BrightStar has partnered with the Green Team to help honor a Broward Schools Eco-Hero of the Month each month.
- The Young At Art Museum will be getting a spectacular new home in 2012. BrightStar entered into an agreement of support with the museum, and the new location will have a room named after the Credit Union. Stay tuned next year for the exciting details.
- In October we celebrated International Credit Union Day, which was our opportunity to thank all members and share the benefits of belonging to a credit union. During this year’s celebrations we gave members something special each day during the week of October 17th -21st.
- BrightStar awarded more than $10,000 in prizes to members for various contests throughout the year, such as e-Statements, Share the Love, Facebook, 65th Anniversary games and more.
- In 2011, we surpassed 47,000 members, and we’re STILL growing strong! Help us keep spreading the good news about credit unions.
We appreciate the opportunity to serve our members and the local community. All the staff and official at BrightStar wish you a happy and healthy holiday season!